Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Niagara Frontier Search and Rescue (NFSAR). NFSAR is a non-profit, all-volunteer SAR team dedicated to providing rural and wilderness search and rescue and outdoor safety education to the citizens of Western NY. The team is also a member of the New York State Federation of Search and Rescue (NYSFEDSAR), an umbrella organization that coordinates search and rescue resources supporting NYS DEC Forest Rangers and law enforcement organizations across all of New York State.
NFSAR will begin recruiting for its 2023 Search and Rescue Academy in the second half of 2022. In order to be considered for membership, applicants must:
- Be at least 21 years old when the academy begins in January of 2023
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be able to commit to the academy training calendar: one classroom training and one field training each month for six months, generally held on Saturday mornings
- Submit current First Aid and CPR certifications
- Submit documentation showing you have completed online training for the Incident Command System: ICS-100 and IS-700
- Submit a criminal background check
- Pass a Fitness Test: complete a 2-mile walk over level terrain in 30 minutes or less while carrying a 25-pound pack
NFSAR will hold informational meetings later in 2022 where applicants can learn more about the team and get their questions answered. If you would like to sign up to get more information about the membership process, please complete this form.